Your welcome Connie! I know there are so many that suffer from this and don’t know where to turn. It can be overwhelming to deal with. These sites can offer you a wealth of information. I so hope I can help some find hope for feeling better. Thank you for commenting, Connie!

1. Gail

Thank you for posting this important information, some of your readers will get help bc of this. Take care, dear lady

2. Jan Cook

Thank you, thank you for sharing this! I’m currently going through this and probably have been for years, I just couldn’t get the doctors to listen to me! They just kept telling me I needed to lose weight and exercise and you know from going through it, that is the last thing you feel like doing. Some days it’s an effort just to get out of bed! I’ve been treated for high blood pressure, cholesterol, and anxiety/depression. I started doing some research on my own and am being treated by my bio-identical hormone doctor because she listened to me and did the necessary blood tests and has me on naturethroid. It is helping but she is still working on my dosage. It is always helpful to hear other people’s stories and find other good resources of information! Thank you again!

Oh, that’s wonderful Jan! I know there are so many of us and I just wanted to share my story to help others that are on this journey. We are so fortunate that there is so much information available now. So many have suffered needlessly and it angers me. Oh and by the way, I should have put this in the post but always skip your medication the day you get your blood drawn. Your last dose of thyroid medication should be at least 12 hours apart from blood draw. Most doctors don’t know this and will argue otherwise.

3. Jan Cook

Thank you for that info on the bloodwork! I will be doing that next week so that will Help to get a more accurate result.

4. liz

Wonderful post. I also had gone to my doctor complaining about changes in my weight (gaining), skin(very dry), joint pain and hair (losing tons of it). My bloodwork was normal but my doctor still felt that it might be my thyroid. She gave me a choice of drugs , synthetic or natural, and I decided to go with Nature Throid. I found Stop the Thyroid site and read ever post and most of the books. I feel my old self again – weight back down, no more dry flaky skin, no more joint aches. I am still losing hair which can be a side effect from the medication or from other causes – still researching. I thank God every day for my very understanding and compassionate doctor .

That is wonderful Liz! I am so glad you found a great doctor who understands and works with you. That is so important and I am so happy for you that you found one. Thank you so much for commenting.

5. ms lemon tart

I have dealt with this for years. If you only get a TSH it will almost always come back normal. It is only when they test my T3 and T4 that they get a true reading. The problem with this illness is it develops so slowly that being exhausted is “your normal”. I am always amazed of how little doctors know about this illness. You have to know the right questions to ask. Great post.

You are so right about that. They have a lot of catching up to do. I know if this disease was more common in men then we wouldn’t be waiting for the doctors to catch up.

6. jan

Thank you for putting this up, I will be doing a lot of reading. My daughter was born mentally retarded and without a thyroid gland. She was on desiccated thyroid from 4 months until 2 years when she was switched to synthroid and has been on it over 40years now. They only do the TSH test for her levels. I never understood why she was on desiccated, but now I wonder about the synthroid. And you are right about doctors not understanding what they are doing. For 40 some years I have seen doctors make mistakes, individually and collectively. So I have little faith in their current ideas about cholesterol,cancer and diabetes. I believe in another 40 or 50 years, we will find out they were wrong about those. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Jan, I am sorry I haven’t been able to comment as I have been having major computer problems. There is a wealth of information now that just wasn’t there for thyroid patients. I do think there will be much more information coming forward. Patients are demanding more care and understand what tests are necessary now. God bless.