1. sheliawilliamson

Hi Jannie! Oh, I’m so sorry about all the breakdowns at your house! It’s true – when it rains it pours! Glad your hubby is so helpful! You have nice kitchen cabinets but I just love painted white cabinets.We hired a painter when we moved into this house to paint walls and to paint my kitchen cabinets white. He just did a terrible job! After two years my cabinets look awful. I’m going to have repaint but not looking forward to it. I always enjoy your pretty snaps and am loving your snaps in IG!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉

Thanks Sheila! I do like white kitchens and yours is so pretty. My mister has this thing for wood and looks at me as if I am scheming to murder someone when I mention painting the cabinets. It really causes him deep pain! Haha! So I am working on him s-l-o-w-l-y! I am so sorry you had a bad painter, you need to report him. I am so glad to see you on Instagram with your pretty photos. Thanks for visiting, Sheila!

2. Liz @ Infuse With Liz

Oh that was a terrible day for you! Wouldn’t you know that your dryer is acting up at the same time! Sounds like a heater coil (been there). Yes if you change the fluorescent light bulbs to a different type you can change the coloring. Some fluorescent lights offer a bluish tone some yellow- it has to do with a CRI (color rendering index) rating. Love all your pictures- especially the one of the hot hazy day with the mimosa bloom.

Thanks Liz, I appreciate that! Yes, it has been a long day and night and now morning for me! But it’s all done for now. Thanks for the tip on the lighting, I need to study up on that. It sounds pretty complicated.

3. Belle Bleu Interiors

I’m so sorry that all of that happened to you. It seems that when it rains it pours! I love all the beautiful vignettes in your kitchen. I also love the way your mantel is decorated. Absolutely gorgeous! I love your beautiful plate scape. I love to decorate with plates and feel that they offer so much to your decor. You might think about the lighting in the kitchen. I have had flourescent lighting before, and I feel that it puts off a much harsher light, and can really affect the appearance of things. I hope that things go better for you today and that you have a wonderful week!

You are such a sweetheart! Thank you so much. I didn’t decorate with plates much until after I started blogging. I have no idea why I waited so long to appreciate what they can do for a room. You know Liz mentioned that about the lighting and I am going to look into that. The mantel doesn’t look yellow and it’s the same wood so it has to be the lighting. That sounds much easier than painting cabinets and my mister would be all for not touching them.

Sorry to hear about the problems Jan. You know that when it rains it pours. Hope it clears up soon! 🙂 Love your pretty photos! Fluorescent lights do have a tendency to turn things a bit yellow.

5. Judith L

Nothing beats the beauty of wood – I hope you don’t paint them. I have heard that different light bulbs provide different tones; you might want to compare some of them before you take any drastic actions. Having lived through a few kitchen floods, I know what a frustrating and tiring time you must have had. Best of luck!

Thank you Judith! I really would prefer not to paint them because there’s no going back if I don’t like them in our kitchen. But then I have seen a kitchen painted in what was referred to as “Buttermilk” and it was so pretty. And yes I will definitely have to study the light bulbs!

6. Linda Charlton

I do think if you change the lighting you will bring out different undertones.Painted cabinets are great. Like them better than wood tones.

Thanks Linda. Yes, I do have to learn about different lighting in the kitchen. I like painted and not painted cabinets. Light wood cabinets are wonderful to me IF they don’t have a yellow/orangey tones. So we will see…thanks for stopping by!

7. Bonnie Morgan

Your photos are gorgeous! I love the large pics.
    Sorry, for your troubles.
    The new type light bulbs are fabulous. I can’t think of the name at the moment but I love them. I got the daylight and had so much more light than before. We got ours at Lowes. They are very helpful. Our light called for 4 bulbs and with the newer type bulb we only needed two. Wish I could think of the name but they are everywhere now. You don’t know about all the new things until you need to replace it.
    Again, gorgeous photos.

8. Regality (aka The Quing)

If you have a lamp with an incandescent bulb that you could bring into the kitchen, you might be able to test whether or not it’s the fluorescent lighting giving you the yellow fits–most likely it is. I had fluorescent lighting in my kitchen originally and changed to incandescent and it made a huge difference. I’m pretty sure that the bulbs the other poster is talking about are LED. The higher the K factor, the colder the light; the lower, the warmer the light. For myself, I prefer the lower (2700K) ones.

As for painting the cabinets, I personally wouldn’t cuz I’m prejudiced against white cabinets–another color, perhaps. Is it possible for you to test by painting one sorta out of the way surface?

Thank you for the information! I do think it is the lights. You can see the photo of our fireplace mantel in the post and it has a different “glow” about it. I don’t mind a somewhat yellow cabinet but these lights take them to a color I am not crazy about. I would not go with white cabinets. That isn’t me. I did see some that weren’t that far away from what we have now and it is called a buttermilk color. It’s a warm pretty color. I did a post way back in December 2014, Christmas Cheer In The Kitchen, https://justjanblog.com/2014/12/13/christmas-cheer-in-the-kitchen/, with the lights off and you can see the true color. Thank you so much for commenting and the info!

• Regality (aka The Quing)

Ah, yes, ” lights out” makes a great difference and shows how well the cabinets go with the rest of the decor.