1. Linda (More Fun Less Laundry)

Jan, Your garden is beautiful. The first photo does look like a park that I would like to step into to enjoy a bit of shade and flowers. I have seen many things referred to loosely as butterfly bush too! Your yard is much farther along than ours. My hydrangeas are just beginning to bud and it looks like we will have a huge crop after a few years of no blossoms! Sounds like someone feasted happily on all your sunflower seeds last fall! I have given up hoping they will reseed themselves and just replant although this year I did not add any. I’m looking forward to seeing your garden again as the summer proceeds! Linda

Thank you Linda! I am so happy for you to finally get your hydrangeas back. It’s funny how much we depend on them for our summer happiness. We kept the sunflower seeds but they weren’t good, obviously! So yes, from now on it’s new seeds for them. Thank you so much for the visit!

2. Liz @ Infuse With Liz

Hi Jan- I enjoyed seeing your back yard and I love the setting. Isn’t it frustrating how one year to the next can change so much. I hope some of the flowers that aren’t producing just yet will show their faces soon! I enjoyed seeing the different flowering plants. I planted a foxglove last year and it was doing great but then all of a sudden it disappeared- the whole plant! I have no idea what happened.

Thanks Liz! We had very different weather this year and I think that has been the big effect on everything. Winter was very warm, Spring was cool and Summer has been mild comparatively. We also have had too much rain. Maybe a deer ate your foxglove. Do they like them? Thank you for commenting!

3. Bonnie Morgan

Your garden is beautiful, Jan. Your garden is similar to mine. It is amazing how different plants vary from year to year. This year my amaryllis bloomed beautifully and several years ago I did not have any blooms. My hydrangeas did well this year and will be turning green soon also.
    You have much more sun than I do to be able to grow vegetables by your fence. I can tell you have a large garden to work in.LOL! There is always something to do.
    Thanks for the beautiful tour.

Thanks Bonnie! Yes, indeed the plants vary from year to year but that make it interesting, doesn’t it?! I shouldn’t tell this on myself but I have been trying to do away with our amaryllis. It was so big and my mister planted a dahlia in the pot with it. I knew that dahlia didn’t have a chance so I have been torturing the amaryllis! Sssh, don’t tell my mister! Haha! Thank you for your visit!

4. Everyday Living

Jan, I have always loved your garden and you have nailed its Park-like vistas. Your blue hydrangeas are simply stunning…the color is perfection. The first sunflower seeds we planted did not come up. We just replanted with new seeds on Saturday! Jan, I remember that you were one of the first bloggers to welcome me when I began blogging. You have a talent in how you present your gorgeous flowers in vignettes. Thanks for linking up to my first Gardens Galore Party!

Thank you Pam! I have been thinking about getting more sunflower seeds but I am still waiting on the zinnias. I saw where P. Allen Smith plants his zinnias at different intervals so that he always has them up to the first frost. I thought that was a great idea since they give you so much. I was one of the first bloggers to greet you because I could see right away how talented you were and I loved your taste! Not a lot of ladies using color these days and when I do see it I sure appreciate it! Thank you so much for the party.

5. Rita C at Panoply

Jan, thank you for the walk through of your gardens! I am gaga over the depth of the blue of your hydrangeas, and I also love the lace cap variety – so dainty. Your garden looks very colorfully planted, and hopefully your zinnias, dahlias and sunflowers will still come. Nonetheless, the photos from last year’s garden journal are enough to inspire to keep trying, if not this year then next. Crape myrtle and wisteria are so gorgeous, but I have resisted them both for lack of wanting to give the maintenance attention that comes with them. Our magnolia was teasing the same as yours – blooms only at the 2nd story level, but they’ve finally begun blooming lower, enough to get me to stop nearly every time I pass to breath in that intoxicating fragrance.
    What a delight to share each other’s gardens here. Thank you for opening yours to us!

Thank you so much Rita! You are such a sweetheart with your kind comments. I do love crape myrtles and their lovely color through the summer but because of our sea of trees I fear it has some bearing on them. There are a few in our neighborhood but they don’t look near as healthy as most do. But I won’t give up on them. Thank you for coming by and your kind words, Rita.

6. oldnewgreenredo

I think it has been a crazy year for everyone. Such pretty blossoms and variety. Other than our Iris and 1 weekend of Viburna, we are pretty bare. Love your acreage… and thanks for sharing. Sandi

Thank you young lady! Yes, as the summer goes on the flowers tend to wilt and give up. I went to a nursery today that just got me so motivated though. I just need three young men to carry out my vision and a very large bank account!

7. Mary

Gorgeous blooms! I envy your trees providing you with some shade! Our magnolia is doing the same, blooming out of reach and too high for my camera lens 🙂

8. Sarah

Oh, this is just the best post! I love seeing all the color in your garden, and your large close up flower shots are works of art. We don’t have a magnolia in our yard, but my neighbor graciously allows me to cut blooms when I want. Unfortunately the lower ones are few and far between. Thanks for the lovely garden tour. I’m a happy girl!

9. mleewest

I enjoyed visiting your beautiful garden today. I’m like you–I wanted a garden/yard that went off script. It’s more work but somehow more fun, too. Your photos show a well-loved garden, a place to reflect and grow. Have a wonderful week!

Thank you so much! It hasn’t been a difficult yard especially with the mister doing the heavy work. But I try to just plant what is pleasing to the eye. Everyone has different taste and I think that includes the yard.

Thanks Christine! Oh yes, the banana plants are really easy to grow and hardy down here. It’s the intense heat and humidity we have every summer.

10. Sarah

Amazing photos! I don’t think I could pick a favorite, so will just bask in the joy of each bloom. Thanks for sharing.